Former FIFA Presidential Candidate Appeals Court of Arbitration for Sports

Former FIFA presidential candidate and executive committee member Mohamed Bin Hammam has appealed to the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) over his provisional ban from football, the latest episode in a long-running saga.

 

Mohammed Bin Hammam

Bin Hammam, who challenged Sepp Blatter for the FIFA presidency last year, was provisionally suspended by the sport’s world governing body on July 26, only one week after CAS had overturned his life ban from football.

In overturning Bin Hammam’s life ban in July, CAS said FIFA had provided insufficient evidence over allegations that he tried to bribe Caribbean officials in the run-up to last year’s election.

However, it said the decision was not “an affirmative finding of innocence” for Bin Hammam, and that the case could be re-opened with new evidence.

Bin Hammam was accused of trying to buy the votes of Caribbean officials by handing them US$40,000 each in brown envelopes at a meeting in Port of Spain one month before the FIFA election.

He withdrew his candidacy for the FIFA elections and was subsequently suspended pending an investigation.

© 2012 SAT Telecommunications Ltd.

Scroll to top