Pm Skerrit presents EC$440.3 Million budget despite the Opposition’s absence at Parliament
Prime Minister and Minister for Finance, Foreign Affairs and Information Technology, Honorable Roosevelt Skerrit presented a $440.3 million budget to parliament when they met for the fifth meeting of the first session of the eighth parliament at the House of Assembly in Roseau on July 13th.
The draft estimates of expenditure comprised total recurrent expenditure of $299,754,936 and capital expenditure of $140,552,986.
During the meeting, the Prime Minister also sought parliament’s approval to borrow and guarantee by means of a fluctuating overdraft, a sum not exceeding in the aggregate of EC$34,500,000 from approved financial institutions to meet Central Government’s current overdraft requirements and to guarantee overdrafts to statutory boards and public corporations for a further period of one year, commencing July 1st, 2010.
The entire proceeding was carried live on television and various radio stations on the island. It is still unclear as to why the opposition members were absent from the parliament on Tuesday.
The Prime Minister and Minister for Finance also laid the following on the table of the House of Assembly:
- 2009/2010 economic and social review
- Loan agreement (support for selected borrowing member countries to meet commitments to the Caribbean Catastrophe Risk Insurance Facility) between the Caribbean Development Bank and the Commonwealth of Dominica guarantee agreement (eight consolidated line of credit) between the CDB and the Commonwealth of Dominica
- Loan agreement (Education Enhancement Project) between the CDB and the Commonwealth of Dominica
- Loan agreement (natural disaster management- rehabilitation of sea defences-hurricane Omar) between the CDB and the Commonwealth of Dominica
- Loan agreement (natural disaster management – immediate response) (hurricane Omar) between the CDB and the Commonwealth of Dominica
- Loan agreement (technical assistance- water supply network – upgrading and expansion) between the Caribbean Development Bank and the Commonwealth of Dominica and the Dominica Water and Sewerage Company Ltd
- 2009 annual report and financial statements of the Dominica Social Security
Minister for Health, Hon. Julius Timothy also laid on the table of the House of Assembly the 2005/2006 and 2007/2008 annual reports and financial statements of the Dominica Solid Waste Management Corporation.