Tip of the Day: Home Security Guidelines
- Plan to “burglarize” yourself. You’ll discover any weaknesses in your security system that may have previously escaped your notice.
- Lock up your home, even if you go out only for a short time. Many burglars just walk in through an unlocked door or window.
- Change all the locks and glasses when you move into a new house.
- For the most effective alarm system, conceal all wiring. A professional burglar looks for places where he or she can disconnect the security system.
- Your house should appear occupied at all times. Use timers to switch lights and radios on and off when you’re not at home.
- If you have a faulty alarm that frequently goes off, get it fixed immediately.