Wesley Man Remanded on Firearm Related Charges
A 32 year old Wesley man has been remanded for one week and is expected to return to court on June 24th 2014 to be sentenced on two firearm related charges.
Scurwin Joseph, who appeared before Magistrate Arley Gill pleaded guilty to possession of 5 rounds of live .38 ammunition and possession of a 9 millimeter semi-automatic pistol without being the holder of a firearm license.
The incident occurred in Massacre on June 14th, when members of the police force were on mobile patrol in that community.
Acting on information received, one of the officers approached a shop where it had been reported that some men were displaying disorderly conduct.
There the officer met a few men who were playing dominos and asked whether any of them was carrying a weapon.
Joseph told the officer that he had a weapon and upon searching him the gun and ammunition were found.
In court on Monday, Joseph told the Magistrate that his action was a mistake and that he was the father of three and a first time offender.
According to him, he had found the gun earlier in the week and decided to hold it that Friday night for protection.
Before remanding him, Gill said he believed that firearm offences were one of the most serious offences and although he had some strong mitigating factors he does not believe .in imposing a fine for such offences